Stress Less with Library Staff!

Stress Less with Library Staff!

photo of display
Stress Less with Library Staff Display / photo by Olivia Rosetti

This Stress Less season, we asked Library Staff what they like to turn to when they’re feeling stressed. Here are our answers! Come check out our display in person or follow one of the links below!

Books

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keates

A sweet story. I love the illustrations!

Jane Pickles
Technical Services: Acquisitions and Cataloging

Where can I get it?:
HC Library
PZ7.K2253 Sn 1976

Movies

Frances Ha

movie poster for Frances Ha

Frances throws herself headlong into her dreams, even as their possible reality dwindles. Frances wants so much more than she has but lives her life with unaccountable joy and lightness. Frances Ha is a modern comic fable that explores New York, friendship, class, ambition, failure, and redemption.

Rachel Beckwith
Interim Director of the Library & Knowledge Commons and Associate Librarian for Access and Arts

Where can I get it?:
HC Library
DVD 2401

Whale Rider

movie poster for Whale Rider

A contemporary story of love, rejection and triumph as a young Maori girl fights to fulfill a destiny her grandfather refuses to recognize.

Jane Pickles

Where can I get it?:
HC Library
DVD 213

Fanny and Alexander: The Theatrical Version,
Fanny and Alexander: The Television Version
,
and The Making of Fanny and Alexander

DVD cover of Fanny and Alexander box set

Two young Swedish children experience the many comedies and tragedies of their family, the Ekdahls.

Neil Young
Media Services Manager

Where can I get it?:
HC Library
DVD 1586, parts 1-3

The Beaches of Agnès

movie poster for the beaches of agnes

Agnès Varda explores her memories, mostly chronologically, with photographs, film clips, interviews, reenactments, and droll, playful contemporary scenes of her narrating her story.

Hanna Bormann
Media Services Student Employee

Where can I get it?
HC Library
DVD 1450

Video Games

Inside/Limbo Double Pack for PlayStation 4

cover art

INSIDE: Hunted and alone, a boy finds himself drawn into the center of a dark project.

LIMBO: Uncertain of his sister’s fate, a boy enters LIMBO.

Amedeo DeCara
Science Librarian

Where can I get it?
HC Library
PS4 Bloo

Bloodborne for PlayStation 4

cover art

Face your fears as you search for answers in the ancient city of Yharnam, now cursed with a strange endemic illness spreading through the streets like wildfire. Danger, death and madness lurk around every corner of this dark and horrific world, and you must discover its darkest secrets in order to survive.

Amedeo DeCara
Science Librarian

Where can I get it?
HC Library
PS4 Inside

Television Series

The Good Place

season 4 show poster

Who would’ve thought that a sitcom that grapples with moral philosophy could be this good? Show creator Michael Schur (of Brooklyn 99, Parks and Recreation, and The Office), clearly saw the potential. The Good Place confronts questions about human morality and connections with an optimistic outlook while still confronting human shortcomings.

The main character Eleanor is a self-professed “Arizona trash bag” who has died and found herself mistakenly sent to the Good Place. With the help of resident dead moral philosophy professor Chidi, she attempts to learn to behave ethically in order to avoid being detected by the angelic afterlife architect Michael and his all-knowing assistant Janet. What begins as self-preservation evolves into genuine self-improvement as she forms bonds with those around her.

Sam Sharp
Access Services Evening Supervisor

Where can I get it?
Seasons 1-3 available through Five College Delivery. If you need help using the online catalog to request an item from the Five Colleges, stop by the InfoBar, and we can walk you through it!

Craig of the Creek

cartoon poster featuring three children

I love this cartoon called “Craig of the Creek” for when I’m stressed out. It’s a lighthearted and really intelligent series from Cartoon Network about a young boy, his best friends, and the adventures they have in their local woods. Think “Codename Kids Nextdoor” meets “Steven Universe”; the woods are full of completely different worlds dictated by the kids that play in them. Craig and his two friends are adventurers, trying to map the whole of the woods for the sake of all kids.

I like it because it’s silly, and exciting, and bittersweet And each episode is only ~10 minutes, so it’s a perfect break between difficult tasks.

Cat/Milo Bezark
Holistic Learning Program Alumni Fellow

Where can I get it?
Full episodes are available on Cartoon Network, and clips are available for free on CartoonNetwork.com!

Podcasts

Wonderful!

cover art

The podcast Wonderful! which is created by Griffin McElroy (of The Adventure Zone and My Brother, My Brother, and Me) and his wife Rachel McElroy is a go-to happy, enthusiastic listen. The premise  of the show is that Rachel and Griffin take turns telling each other about things that they find to be wonderful (ranging from a light jacket, poetry, backpacks, and hands to name just a few).

There are also segments where listeners write in with things they find wonderful, or kind letters directed to someone else they know who listens.

It’s a really happy, engaging, positivity-fest and always puts a smile on my face!

Olivia Rosetti
Access Services Interlibrary Loan & Knowledge Commons Space Supervisor

Where can I get it?
Stream it wherever you listen to podcasts or online at MaximumFun.org!

Youtube

Gourmet Makes – Bon Appétit

Claire Saffitz with images of original and gourmet Takis

In this YouTube series, pastry chef Claire Saffitz attempts to make gourmet versions of popular snack foods.

Amedeo DeCara
Science Librarian

Where can I get it?
All episodes available here!

Monster Factory – Polygon/The McElroy Family

screenshot of character from Bloodborne episode

Griffin and Justin McElroy stretch character customization to the limits and create a stunning array of beautiful, disgusting monsters.

Sam Sharp
Access Services Evening Supervisor

Where can I get it?
All episodes available here!

bill wurtz

picture of bill with text: "gonna sing a really dumb song and then post it online"

A YouTube icon with a dry sense of humor that he channels into his weird and serene songs.

Olivia Rosetti

Where can I get it?
Check out this channel here!

Nice Content – Tatered

swirled galaxy paint with title "Nice Content: Paint Universe"

Mesmerizing videos that are usually odd and always satisfying.

Sam Sharp
Access Services Evening Supervisor

Where can I get it?
All episodes available here!