Disposability

One thing I regularly interact with that is typically considered disposable is paper towels. I am a very clumsy person, so paper towels were one of the first things I packed when coming to Hampshire to assist in cleaning up any spills. I would consider paper towels to be disposable and not able to be reused, in contrast to something that is marketed to be one-time use, but maybe is not the reality, such as a plastic water bottle. The design of paper towels would be disposable as well in the sense that you can not use them for an extended period of time before they begin to rip apart. I always end up needing at least 2 paper towels with whatever mess I make. Something that is disposable also indicates a short-term use. This is even marketed by companies such as Bounty, as their slogan is “the quicker picker-upper.” Being able to clean up the mess as soon as possible connects to being able to disconnect yourself from the mess as soon as possible. Upon skimming Bounty’s website, apparently, for every tree they use, they plant two more. It is stated that this is done to grow lush and thriving forests. However, trees are not exactly grown overnight in the same way they are cut down to be used, so I think even what is considered sustainable actions by a company itself are always important to examine further While I am appreciative of paper towels and how they offer cleanup assistance, limiting use of disposable things is definitely something our discussions have reminded me to be consistent about.