Many students, faculty, and staff are already aware that some of us in IT and the communications office have been working on a major redesign of the Hampshire Intranet, which includes the announcement and event system that runs the campus calendar and daily digest emails you receive each morning during the week. We want to provide the campus community with some details about the project along the way, so here goes…
What is the Intranet?
The Intranet is a portal-like website that contains some password-protected content meant for the Hampshire community. The main page has a bunch of links, and it’s the place to post announcements and events that appear in the daily digest emails and on the campus calendar.
Why are we overhauling it?
The Intranet has existed in a similar state for well over 10 years. As a community we still have a need for communication tools like announcements, a central campus calendar, and a place to put information that requires a Hampshire login. We’ve received a LOT of feedback over the years about different aspects of this system. We’ve done user testing and interviews with some students, faculty, and staff, which made the direction of our work very clear. The same feature requests and bugs came up over and over again. We want to provide similar and better functionality in a user-friendly way.
What kinds of changes are we talking about?
There will be a lot of changes, but here are highlights of the big ticket items we’re addressing:
- Redesigned daily digest email, including new features when submitting announcements and events.
- Redesigned Intranet homepage with helpful links targeted specifically for students, faculty, and staff respectively based on who is logged in.
- Centralized campus calendar and academic calendar.
- Student job postings (both work study and non-work study) that can be easily searched and filtered.
- Search functionality that indexes all Intranet content, including announcements and events.
We plan to launch the new Intranet/Digest/Calendar in January 2017.
We’ll be posting more details about the project as we progress and we’ll be looking for feedback. In the meantime, questions, comments, or concerns can be sent to email@example.com.