Staff Profile: Get to Know Campus Leadership and Activities Staff!

Welcome to our first ever Student Life office profile!!

We’re starting with Campus Leadership & Activities (otherwise known as CLA), the office that coordinates and supports all the amazing student groups, and brings you fun campus traditions like Hampfest, Hampshire Halloween, Spring Jam, and the Ingenuity Awards. Who are these magical folks? Read on and find out!

The question we asked each staff member:

What do you like to do in your spare time outside of Hampshire?

Janine Knight, director of campus leadership and activities and assistant dean of students:

Janine with Jason Mraz
Me and Jason Mraz

One of my favorite things to do in my free time is go to concerts. Recently I’ve seen The Lone Bellow in Northampton and Jason Mraz in Albany, NY. Jason Mraz is my favorite singer/songwriter and I have seen him many times. In 2010 I was finally able to meet him in person. Other artists I’ve seen include Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys, New Kids on the Block, P!nk, Janet Jackson, Mumford and Sons, and Lake Street Dive to name a few. Other than going to shows, I enjoy playing games with friends, discussing my favorite TV shows, and coloring.

Tammy Parks, financial assistant:

Tammy with husband, at gym, at women's march, vase of purple flowersI love to spend time with my family – my husband, Philip, my three sons – Zach, Matt, and Will, and my parents who are still hanging in at age 89 and 90.  I love to travel with my husband (see photo).  I also love to take pictures of flowers, this one is from the Pie Bar.  And I march on Washington whenever I can. Recently I joined a fitness challenge and am going to aerobics classes four times a week!

Raven Fowlkes-Witten, program coordinator:

Raven and catMy name is Raven Fowlkes-Witten and I work in CLA. Outside of Hampshire, I like to write and read poetry, drink bubble tea, and cuddle with my beautiful, majestic, perfect angel of a cat, Hazelnut.

Carolyn Strycharz, associate director of campus leadership and activities:

Carolyn StrycharzI’m Carolyn Strycharz, and I have worked at Hampshire for 15 years.  I love spending free time with my family and our chocolate lab Willow, and being outdoors – whether it’s hiking, sledding, swimming, boating on the Connecticut River, geocaching, grilling, or just relaxing.  I also love museums and exploring all that the Pioneer Valley and New England have to offer.