Written by program assistant Cat Guzman 10F
If you’ve visited this blog before, you know that there are a ton of wonderful people to meet on campus that can help with you with just about anything. But here at New Student Programs, we know that there are tons of places you should get to know as well! And we think there isn’t a better place to start than the Dakin, Merrill, Prescott, and Greenwich/Enfield house offices.
In my experience as a third year student, I can tell you that most house offices are often used by non-intern students to occasionally borrow cleaning supplies such as brooms and vacuum cleaners. The house offices definitely have these supplies handy for anyone who might need them, but did you that they offer lots of other goodies too?
You can find:
- Medicine – such as over-the-counter vitamins and painkillers for a headache or oncoming cold
- Safer sex supplies – completely free to take, and a great range of them too!
- Candy/tea/coffee – stop by to make yourself a warm cup of something, or grab a handful of sweets
- A microwave – warm up food and drinks at your own leisure
- A lot of games – always free to borrow and use with your friends
- Craft supplies – feel free to use a few to get creative
- A bathroom, along with free tampons and pads – just in case you’ve gotta go on your way to class!
Additionally, this is the place where you can find the house interns, who can provide directions to any place on campus if you’re lost and offer advice or a listening ear (among other things)! The Dakin and Merrill interns can also help you reserve the Dakin or Merrill Living Rooms for events you might plan. Remember, interns are trained and informed so that you can ask them about any campus resources you might want to find or learn about, and are happy to point you in the right direction!
So, for those who haven’t visited yet, the house offices are located in each housing area (with the exception of Greenwich — the Greenwich/Enfield house office is across from the basketball court in Enfield). The Prescott house office is located at the bottom of the 92-96 stairwell, and the Dakin/Merrill house office is located on the ground floor of the Dakin Student Life Center, next to the Dakin Living Room. There will almost always be an intern there, along with a house director who can also answer your questions, particularly those relating to your housing/living situation. Open hours are generally 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., with interns working different shifts throughout the day. Stop by for a visit when you can!
As always, send any questions or thoughts our way to firstname.lastname@example.org!