Unplug Before Leaving

You may have seen the viral Facebook posting from a fire department in Oregon which showed the possible effects of plugging a space heater into a power strip. The space heater caused the power strip to overheat and melt. The original posting has been taken down, but you can find lots of references to it online. The moral of that story is that space heaters should always be plugged directly into a wall outlet.

With the College closing for break, we ask that you unplug any space heaters you have in your office area. When you return, if your space heater is plugged into a power strip–even one with a surge protector–find a way to plug it directly into a wall outlet.

It’s also a good idea, though for different reasons, to unplug your computer and associated electronics over break. If there is a power outage during the break it may result in a power surge when the power goes back on, potentially damaging anything that is plugged in.

With all that said, have a wonderful and safe holiday break!

Share