First Generation College Students
- Greenwald, R. (2012, Nov) Think of First Generation Students as Pioneers, Not Problems. Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Madden, V. (Sept 21, 2014) Why Poor Students Struggle The New York Times.
- Engle, J, Bermeo, A. & C. OBrien. (2006) Straight from the Source: What Works for First Generation College Students. A Report of the Pell Institute for Opportunity in Higher Education.
- Housel, T.H. (2012, Nov) Helping First Generation College Students Straddle 2 Cultures.
- Institute for Higher Education Policy. (2012). Supporting First Generation Students through Classroom Based Practices.
- Kluczykowski, M. (2014, May), Sometimes ‘Hand-Holding’ Can Be a Good Thing. Chronicle of Higher Education. Vol. 60 Issue 37.
- Peters, L. (2007, September). Practical ways we can assist first generation students. Academic Advising Today, 30(3).
- McCleaf, K.J. (2012, March). Improving our advisees’ cultural capital. Academic Advising Today, 35(1).
- Tough, P. (2014, May). Who Gets to Graduate? New York Times Magazine.
First Generation College Students at Carolina: Advocating for their Success
Student Identity and Success: A series of videos (under 5 minutes) featuring faculty discussing teaching strategies that first generations students reported as being helpful to their learning. The videos can be found here on the Heritage University website and a discussion of the study is available here on Inside Higher Ed.